Course Outline – VBA from Beginner to Expert
It’s time to give me your feedback on the VBA course that I’m making! It’s for you guys after all and I want to make sure you find it useful.
You’ve been asking for this course for a very long time and since I’m stuck inside now I found some time to work on it.
Below is a rough outline of the sections that I am thinking of having in the course – nothing is finalized yet and so your feedback will have a major impact on what I put in the course.
- Introduction to the course.
- First Steps
- The basics of what macros are, how to create them, how to use the VBA editor window, adding comments to macros, running macros, commonly used keyboard shortcuts and other foundational topics that will help you better follow the course.
- Here, you will also make your first macro.
- Macro Recorder
- I am not sure if I should include a section about the macro recorder or not because I want to teach VBA here and not the macro recorder, but I think I will include this section anyway – let me know your opinion on this!
- Reference Cells and Ranges
- Getting and Inputting Data into the Worksheet
- Working with Worksheets
- Working with Workbooks
- Adding Logic and Control to Macros
- Project 1
- Smallish project to combine the previous topics – I haven’t decided what this will be yet.
- Prompt User Input
- Working with Ranges
- I’m thinking that this will be a practical application type section that teaches you things like getting the next empty row, etc.
- Practical Loops
- More practical application of loops, such as looping through a user-selected range of cells.
- Searching for Data
- Showing different ways to search worksheets and workbooks for data.
- Big Project
- Useful project that is bigger than the previous one and combines what was learned so far into something useful – I haven’t decided what this will be yet.
- All about them: making them, changing them, adding and removing things from them, etc.
- Workbook and worksheet events – probably 1 tutorial to go over a lot of the events and then a series of practical tutorials for some more useful events.
- Working with Other Macros
- Calling other macros, sending them values, etc.
- Debugging and Speeding up Macros
- I might split this into two sections or leave it like this.
- Macro related security and workbook related security that is handled through macros.
- User Defined Functions
- Importing Data
- Tutorials relating to importing CSV’s probably.
- I do NOT plan to cover M Code here – I think that belongs in its own course.
- UserForms (?)
- NOT SURE – I might include this as a small section to get your feet wet with them but I’m not sure how much I should include since this could be its own large course.
- Charts (?)
- NOT SURE – I’m not sure that charts need an entire section for this course?!
- Email (?)
- NOT SURE this should have its own section.
- Resource Section: Useful Functions
- Helpful functions that you should know but which don’t fit well into the above sections.
- Resource Section: Working with Ranges
- Helpful things to do with ranges which would just clutter the other topics if they were included there.
- Additional Topics
- Your choice! What do you want?)
The design of the course is not finished and I greatly welcome your input on what you would like to see in the course.
I want to make something that is useful for you and I’m ready to hear your thoughts!